Saturday, February 21, 2009

for a friend

benna's birthday bag

my friend benna turned six yesterday. i was her nanny when she was a wee one, back when she was just starting to talk, and now she is reading and she rides the school bus and i sort of can't believe how long it has been since we first met.

today she is hosting a make-your-own-sundae party, and i had so much fun making this crazy bag for her.

benna's birthday bag
i mixed tons of vintage prints and raided my button collection.

benna's birthday bag
i made sure to include some extra pockets, for various trinkets and treasures she might find along the way. two exterior pockets on the front, under the flap. two on the back (with a little madebyhank button in the middle), one on either side of the side panel (one in heart print, one in pink polka dots), and four big ones inside.

benna's birthday bag
i topped it all off with bright pink piping and vintage floral print lining. and, of course, a matching pencil purse.

** my friend enzo also turned three yesterday, but i can't post photos of his birthday surprise just yet, just in case he happens to read my blog before i have the chance to deliver his gift. you know, because three-year-olds read blogs.

9 comments:

Concha said...

Wow, what an amazing present!!

I love that you've made it girly but not too sweet.

You're one great designer!

cake. said...

oh my gosh, i can't believe that enzo is 3!!

my happiest birthday wishes to them both.

Anonymous said...

Katie that is such such a lovely present! I love and adore the bag and the matching pencil purse! Happy birthday to both of them! Have a lovely merry day and love to you!

knack said...

man... what a lucky six year old!! This piece is fabulous!! xo

Amanda Wimberley said...

What a cool bag, your little friend is so lucky! I think that your on to something using all those bright colors together!! I check your shop often waiting on a larger bag to appear (one that isn't reserved...) I would love to buy something to go with my little mini-purse!
You're great, just great!

Kristen said...

What an amazing bag! I'd LOVE to find one like it in your shop :)

Cherry Runway said...

oh my!! I an IN LOVE with this bag! What an amazing present!!

Caroline Vidican said...

I just discovered you on Etsy, I love your work, but especially this bag! What a lucky little girl! And I can't wait to see what Enzo is going to get...love from France, Caroline Vidican, who is shahdlou (with an empty shop) on Etsy

elodee said...

I think it's so cute that you call them friends. Ahhh..super cute..that would be sooo cute as a diaper bag! ooohhh would you do t hat for me?!?!?!